Monday, June 16, 2014

A Birth Story Project: Sarah (2)

Sarah's back with another submission to A Birth Story Project -- the story of her first son's birth. Read the story of her second son's birth here:

With this project, I provide a public space for birth stories that want to be shared. Please contact me if you'd like to submit your own (anonymous or not, as you prefer). The spectrum of birth experiences is wide, and I'm hoping to be able to post an equally broad variety of stories.

Stories and photos are shared with permission. Stories may be reformatted and edited for clarity, but they are not censored. This is meant to be a safe space, so please read with compassion. Comments may be moderated.

Sarah's First Birth

Greyson was 9 days pass his due date and the ultrasound scan was estimating almost 10lbs, give or take a lb. Kyle [my husband] was 13lb at birth so they were slightly concerned. I was freaking out! I wanted him OUT stat. We talked over the options. I wasn't dilated, effaced, nothing... I cried and cried. It was so depressing at the time. Even in Kyle's largest t-shirt, my belly was hanging out.

This was a Wednesday. The plan was to perform a C-section the next Monday, if he didn't arrive on his own. I was really upset, as I was planning on a natural childbirth.

When I found out I was pregnant Kyle had decided to not shave his beard until Greyson was born. We left the doctors office, got Shake Shack, and Kyle said I could do the honors of shaving his beard. Well, halfway into shaving Kyle beard, the contractions kicked in! I didn't say anything because I had had false labor a few time earlier in the week. We made enchiladas for dinner and I baked a cake (I was already huge at this point; I didn't care).
I had contractions all night and the next morning threw up some, etc. The contractions became super close together, but my water hadn't broken, so we stayed home longer.

Things got real, and we called our neighbor to drive to us to the hospital. We checked in around 10am on Thursday. Thank GOD I was 4cm dilated, as I was "nothing" less than 24hrs earlier. We walked around for about 2hr doing squats, etc. I slept for 2hrs, then woke up to "NO PROGRESS."

My doctor wanted to break my water, but I said no waited and another 4 hrs. NO PROGRESS, but the contractions continued. Took a shower, walked more... I was seriously so tired at this point and it felt like I had been in labor for days.

At almost 6pm, the doctor insisted on breaking my water -- and that point, I didn't care. I was over it. Around 8-10pm, no progress. The doctor became worried that (because of his size) he was stuck. They wanted to do a C-section, but I said I wanted to try longer. The doctor said it was fine, but advised me of the possibly of the baby's shoulder getting stuck.

2am: no progress, so I got an epidural in preparation for the C-section, and -- BAM -- within a few hours, right as I was watching the ROYAL WEDDING, I was going through transition and was ready to push! I was screaming I WANT TO PUSH!!!! My doctor thought I was crazy and was shocked that after all that I was ready to go.

It took me a while to get a hang of pushing. I felt the urge to push, but I just couldn't figure it out, I guess. I had an epidural but I was still moving all over the bed. I don't know if it was working or not. After about 2hrs Kyle said, "Holy shit I see his head and he has a ton of hair!!!" I also remember the doctor saying, "You're doing it, you're doing it!"  I pushed him out with the next push: 8lbs 15oz 22in and COVERED in Meconium. He was screaming, with arms straight out. Kyle reached out and touched his hand. I was so glad he was out and didn't get stuck. I kept saying, "I can't believe I did it." 

I did end up having a tear with 4-5 stitches and a fractured tailbone, but I was so happy with how things turned out.