Updated 2020: I am now also teaching group classes in Newborn Care and Breastfeeding online through https://www.mybirthly.com/classes
I offer Private or Group Customizable Classes in Early Pregnancy Planning, Labor Preparation, Lactation, Newborn Care, and more!
I am a certified Cooperative Childbirth Educator (CCCE), trained and credentialed by the Childbirth Education Association of Metropolitan New York (CEA/MNY). As such, I offer private and group classes in early pregnancy planning/comfort measures, third trimester and labor preparation, lactation, infant care, and new parent survival skills.
In line with CEA's philosophy of Cooperative Childbirth Education, I believe in birth as a normal, physiological process, and I do not subscribe to or teach from a single "method" of childbirth (Bradley, Lamaze, Hypnobirthing, etc.). Rather, pregnant people and their partners (if applicable) are encouraged to identify and draw upon their own individual strengths and intuition, "in order to allow birth to reach its transforming potential." I will share evidence-based information and practices that will help you think about your options and preferences as you prepare for labor and/or one or more new family members.
Not just for first-time birth-givers and/or birth-supporters, classes can be tailored to meet the needs of all genders, individuals, families, and birth choices -- from birth parents placing babies for adoption to surrogates, to adoptive and intended parents (whether you will or will not be attending the birth), to families with more than one birth partner, to unaccompanied birthing parents. My classes are appropriate for any chosen birth location -- whether that's home, birth center, or hospital. I can speak to first time pregnancies, customize "refreshers" for subsequent births, discuss your options in the case of a medically necessary cesarean birth, support you as you navigate pregnancy after a prior loss, offer strategies for sibling integration, include tips on birthing multiples, accompany you through medical uncertainty or life-limiting diagnoses, and more.
I am committed to inclusive care. Let's discuss your needs!
Topics Covered Often Include:
* The third trimester of pregnancy: coping with aches and pains, preparing for labor
* How to tell when you are in labor
* When to make sure you're at your birth location, what to have with you, and how to keep things progressing throughout
* A "map" of what the physiological stages of labor and delivery generally look like
* Pain management, comfort, and coping techniques and tools: options during all stages of labor -- both "natural" and medical, including those appropriate whether you are laboring at home, birth center, hospital, or a combination of these
* Navigating choices and advocating for yourselves during pregnancy, labor and delivery -- including hospital vocabulary and discussion of "birth plan" or "birth preferences" options
* Positions for labor and pushing, including hands-on practice
* The postnatal period for baby, birthing people, and new parents: newborn tests/practices immediately after the birth, healing/recovery, and new parent "survival" in the first few weeks -- moving from hospital or birth center to home, or the transition from home birth to home life.
* Lactation (breastfeeding/chestfeeding) -- latch, positions, troubleshooting, normal infant feeding, how to find support, and more. This can be a stand-alone class or included with childbirth preparation
* Infant care -- baths, diapers, sleep, soothing techniques, and normal newborn behavior. Like lactation, this can also be a stand-alone class or included with childbirth preparation
* Access to evidence-based resources, recommended books/videos/websites, and referrals to other professionals, as needed
* The role of the birth partner or partner parent(s), if applicable to your situation, is woven through all of these topics, as well as how that role can intersect with and compliment birth doula support
Private classes, or semi-private classes for small groups of 2-4 family units (individuals, pairs, etc.), may be arranged in your home. Information on larger group classes coming soon! Please email me to discuss.
"Thank you again for all of your help and your fantastic class. The birth would have been harder without everything you taught us." -- K. and S., students in a private class covering childbirth preparation, breastfeeding and infant care
"Thanks again for the childbirth session. It was exactly what we were looking for, and so helpful to give us a good overview without being overly intimidating or scary." -- J. and K., students in a private class covering childbirth preparation, breastfeeding and infant care